Best All-Round Female Artist went to former Super Girl winner Li Yuchun (李宇春). Li won the second season of Super Girl back in 2005, a Chinese version of Pop Idol but limited to female contestants only. Her victory was regarded as a triumph of substance over style, as her tomboyish looks and energetic presence didn't fit the traditional mould of female pop stars in China. She has maintained her popularity ever since, and last year she released her third studio album, Youth of China, and at least half a dozen singles.
Show Luo (罗志祥, Luó Zhīxiáng) from Taiwan was named Best All-Round Male Artist, despite not releasing a studio album in 2008 until the last week of December. His major 2008 release was a DVD of his live show, Show on Cruel Stage. Famed for his high-energy dance moves, he also hosts a popular variety show on Taiwanese TV, 100% Entertainment.
Music Radio also gave out eight awards honouring Most Popular and Best individual artists. They were as follows:
- Most Popular Mainland Female Artist: Li Yuchun
- Most Popular Mainland Male Artist: Zhang Jie (张杰)
- Most Popular Hong Kong/Taiwan Female Artist: Elva Hsaio (萧亚轩)
- Most Popular Hong Kong/Taiwan Male Artist: Show Luo
- Best Mainland Female Artist: Wang Zheng (王筝)
- Best Mainland Male Artist: Xu Wei (许巍)
- Best Hong Kong/Taiwan Female Artist: Fish Leong (梁静茹)
- Best Hong Kong/Taiwan Male Artist: Wang Leehom (王力宏)
- Most Popular Mainland Band: Yusiyuan Orchestra & BIZ (俞思远&B.i.Z)
- Most Popular Hong Kong/Taiwan Band: Mayday (五月天)
- Best Mainland Band: The Honeys (甜蜜的孩子)
- Best Hong Kong/Taiwan Band: Sodagreen (苏打绿)
- Most Popular Mainland Group: BoBo (BOBO组合)
- Most Popular Hong Kong/Taiwan Group: Fahrenheit (飞轮海)
- Best Mainland Group: Top Combine (至上励合)
- Best Hong Kong/Taiwan Group: S.H.E
And where's Jay Chou amonst all these music notables, you may well ask? President Chou didn't miss out, collecting the award for Best Selling Artist of the Year.
The 21CN website provides a full list of all the awards, but in Chinese only.